Mercury Retrograde is Your Teacher
I’m going to dive right in with the key to surviving Mercury Retrograde. I’m not going to keep you hanging on until the end of this article to share the secret. However, once you know the secret, you’re going to want to read on to discover how to apply it into your life during each Mercury Retrograde event.
The key to surviving Mercury going retrograde is to see Mercury Retrograde as a teacher.
Okay, I’m going to assume that’s a bit of an anti-climax for you.
You probably wanted something more exciting involving rituals, crystals, and dancing under moonlight. Now if you want to indulge in those things, then go ahead, they will absolutely support your focus and efforts. Just remember that Mercury Retrograde is here with lessons to learn.
I’m very much about the no BS practical application of astrology. I like to take the facts, look at our modern lives, and combine the spiritual and the mundane to help us become better versions of ourselves.
If that’s your jam too, then read on.
And if you want to learn how to thrive your way through Mercury Retrograde, then grab my Mercury Retrograde Survival Pack.
What is Mercury Retrograde?
- Physically, it is the illusion of the planet Mercury going backwards in the sky, as seen from the Earth, due to the super fast speed of Mercury’s orbit around the Sun. This happens 3-4 times a year.
- Astrologically, it is a period of down time when something important calls for our awareness and attention.
Mercury Retrograde has Three Stages
Stage One - Pre-Shadow Phase
- Physically, this is the time when Mercury appears to slow down before becoming stationary.
- Astrologically, this is a time of preparation where we start to tune into the energy and get ready for a period of reflective learning ahead.
Stage Two - Mercury Retrograde
- Physically, this is when Mercury appears to be going backwards in the sky, as seen from the Earth.
- Astrologically, this is the listening phase, when Mercury will show you where you need to place your focus. Notice the challenges, successes, signs and guidance around you.
Stage Three - Post-shadow Phase
- Physically, Mercury appears to be moving forward again, slowly at first, then speeding up until back to his usual pace.
- Astrologically, this is the implementation phase, where you take what you have learned during stages one and two and start to incorporate them into your life.
What Does Mercury Retrograde Influence?
The characteristics of the planet Mercury in astrology are the areas of our lives Mercury Retrograde impacts. This includes communication, information, speed, travel, commerce and business.
Mercury has a huge influence in our modern world, creating difficulties and challenges in the areas I’ve just mentioned. However, it’s not all doom and gloom, as working with the energy and embracing Mercury in it’s retrograde form as your teacher, there is plenty to learn, grow and evolve from.
What Makes Each Mercury Retrograde Unique?
No two Mercury Retrogrades are the same. Some will feel easy to navigate, you may find yourself full of ideas and inspiration, and feel quite energised coming out of the other side. On the other hand, some Mercury Retrograde events can make you feel as though you’ve been dragged face first through the dirt for 3-6 weeks. And then there is the potential for everything in between.
The Zodiac Sign
Each Mercury Retrograde takes place in a sign or multiple signs of the zodiac. The sign will theme some of the Mercury Retrograde lessons and highlight where you should place your focus and attention.
Each zodiac sign falls into one of the four elements, Earth, Air, Fire and Water. Each element brings forward a different energy to each Mercury Retrograde event.
The Astrological Houses
Mercury Retrograde will activate an astrological house in your natal chart. The houses represent life areas, and during Mercury Retrograde, this life area will be the one most influenced and impacted during the event. This is also the place where the greatest lessons and growth opportunities are available to you.
Mercury Retrograde Survival Pack
I talk about the influence of the zodiac, elements and astrological houses in more details inside my Mercury Retrograde Survival Pack.
Things to Do During Mercury Retrograde
- Journal - Write everything down. Events, feelings, situations, conversations, challenges, frustrations and successes. Anything that gets your attention. This information can be useful later as you work through your Mercury Retrograde lessons.
- Notice Where You Feel Frustrated - Areas of your life where you feel frustrated, uncomfortable, trapped and uneasy are key indicators of Mercury Retrograde showing you where to place your focus and attention.
- Explore the Re’s - If you can add the prefix 're' to a word, then it’s a good action for Mercury Retrograde. Mercury Retrograde is a time to review, reflect, reorganise, repair and research to name just a few.
- Back Up Your Data - As technology tends to get a little glitchy around this time, make sure everything is backed up.
- Incubate Your Ideas - While Mercury Retrograde is active, ideas are brought into the mind to be worked on, nurtured and incubated into maturity. This is not a time to take action, but to instead grow the idea into a form that will survive out in the big wide world.
"The retrogression of Mercury is the instinctive mental ‘down time’. It is associated with much re-doing, re-thinking, re-organising, re-associating; anything that can be prefaced with re- will define this rest period." - Erin Sullivan
Are you ready to not just survive, but thrive your way through Mercury Retrograde?
The so often talked about 'difficulty' experienced by people during Mercury Retrograde is often connected to our unwillingness to look at this time as a teaching moment.
Yes, there may be frustrations, challenges and struggles, but each one of those events has a purpose, and that is to help you grow and evolve into who you are meant to be.
Inside the Mercury Retrograde Survival Pack, you get instant access to three guides to navigate the energy of the September 2022 Mercury Retrograde Event.
What is Mercury Retrograde and How Can You Navigate it With Ease?
- Understand the three distinct stages of Mercury Retrograde
- Explore how Mercury Retrograde influences different parts of your life.
- Get the tools to navigate Mercury Retrograde with ease.
The Themes of the September 2022 Mercury Retrograde
- The three stages of the September Retrograde
- The influence of Mercury Retrograde in Virgo and Libra
- Working with the elements of Earth and Air
- Explore the area of your life that will be impacted by this Mercury Retrograde event
6 card spread Tarot/Oracle cards spread for exploring the lessons of Mercury Retrograde
Use this spread to take you on a personal journey through the Mercury Retrograde Cycle.
Tell me Your Thoughts
How do you feel about Mercury Retrograde?
Do you dread or embrace it?
🌌 Join the Cosmic Cuppa Community 🌌
🌟 Dive deep into the universe every Monday with Sarah Cornforth Astrology. Connect with the stars, gain unique insights, and start your week with celestial wisdom.
- Exclusive Astrological Insights: Get in-depth understanding and interpretations straight to your inbox.
- Weekly Cosmic Updates: Stay updated on planetary shifts and how they might influence your week.
- Special Offers & Announcements: Be the first to know about upcoming courses, events, and special deals.
ABOUT YOUR ASTROLOGER
Hi! I’m Sarah,
It's a pleasure to introduce myself to you. I'm an Astrologer, Creatrix and life enhancement enthusiast. Plus, I'm a total nerd!
But that's not all. I'm also a proud dog mum to my two beautiful fur-babies. They bring me so much joy and are a constant reminder of the beauty and love that surrounds us.
If you'd like to know more about me and my interests, check out my ‘About Me’ page.
I'm excited to connect with you!